Friday 1 July 2011

Spinning

I belong to a fantastic arts group called Spin, where we meet once a month at a gallery in Edinburgh that's running a modern art exhibition for discussion, along with the artist or curator, about a current exhibition.

Well last night it was at the Royal Botanic Garden on a beautiful, balmy, summer evening. We were there for the Thomas Houseago exhibition, which was very interesting and provoked a lot of active chat. We've now been invited to the opening of his next exhibition there on the 28th July, where the artist himself is due over from Los Angeles to meet and greet. As I have a very early start the next day for Shetland showing at the Border Union show, I'm not sure I'll be able to go. It'll depend on what time it starts and will have to wait for the invite itself to arrive before making my mind up.

After the evenings activities, my friend N and I retired to our favourite haunt, El Bar, which just happens to be round the corner from our Edinburgh abodes (and by the way is also the place I wrote about to get my restaurant reviewer gig), and we were accompanied by two other Spinners, cousins Eleanor and Carol. Eleanor lives in Larbert and was supposed to get the train home, but was enjoying herself so much decided to join us in another bottle of wine and stay the night with Carol.

So what was supposed to be a nice quiet arty night, with a bit of tapas and wine, ended up being quite a night out and I didn't fall into bed until almost midnight, and am relieved that I have a day off today to recover and watch the men's semi finals at Wimbledon and get myself ready for the great singathon tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment