Friday 29 July 2011

Show day

I don't know how I did it, but I forgot to turn on my alarm last night. I set the time alright for 5.30 am, but then didn't turn it on. So when I woke up somewhat startled at 6.05, I was in a bit of a rush to get myself organised. Luckily I'd put my clothes out the night before. Anyway, it was all fine and I got to the showground just outside Kelso in good time to meet up with my friend Anne, her granddaughter, Emily and another friend of Anne's, Jacko. There was no problem getting in after I told the gatekeeper my sob story about the trials of the postal system.

Anne had brought the Shetland I won with last year, Bridge, and her foal (who was only along for the ride as there were no classes for him and Jacko kindly took him round the ring so he didn't freak out when his mother trotted round), and then Bridge's daughter, Daisy, aged 4, who Emily was going to ride after she had been shown in hand. Sadly none of us did terribly well. Bridge lost her cup after winning the previous 2 years and we got a slap on the wrist from the rather fastidious judge for showing her with a chain and leather lead... should be for larger ponies don'tya know... and were placed 5th. I have to say this is in a Mountain and Moorland class where Shetlands traditionally don't do so well, so perhaps I should say that we were the 2nd Shetland. Sadly Daisy was last in the class.


Bridge and her foal, Rainbow
Then Daisy was saddled up and Emily got her gear on and mounted. Emily is only six and I have to say was quite composed. She lives in Switzerland and flew over on her own to be with her grandma. She speaks both French and English, but her English is with the cutest French accent. I was very impressed. However, it seems that Anne had entered her in the wrong class as she can't yet canter on her own, and so the judge somewhat harshly disqualified her, but Emily wasn't bothered. She just loved walking and trotting about. She was given the rosette that Bridge and I had won as a consolation and was quite happy with that.


Anne, Emily and Daisy

After lunch we loaded up the ponies and Anne, Emily and Jacko went off while I took time to wander round the showground. It was lovely. The weather wasn't too hot and it was great to sit about watching horses of all varieties perform. I also found The Sheep Show, which was fantastically entertaining and educational mc'd by a New Zealand shepherd called Stuart, who was very, very funny and as well as teaching all about breeds of sheep, showed how to shear one too.

The Sheep Show

Lenny the Sheep
If you ever get a chance to see The Sheep Show performance I highly recommend it. Especially if you have kids, as you can see from the above photo these two were entranced with Lenny who'd jumped down from his podium to entertain them.

Then it was back home to pick up the dog and take her for a walk before settling down for a quiet evening. Anne is taking the pony I sold her many, many years ago to the show tomorrow. He's going to be pulling a carriage along with his mate, so I might, if time allows, go back to support them. I'll have to see what tomorrow brings. If it's warm and sunny then I'll definitely make the effort.

I didn't manage to get a photo of Doddie Weir (ex Scotland lock) this year. He said hello to me, but was a bit caught up with stewarding duties and I didn't like to intrude to ask. So here's the pick from last year to keep you amused.

4 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous. What beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we talking ponies or Doddie Weir's trousers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm talking ponies! You must make up your own mind about Doddie Weir's trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love 'em myself... that's both the ponies and Doddie Weir's trousers!

    ReplyDelete