Sunday 20 May 2012

All in a day's work

I had become so sick and tired of all the dandelions that had decided to take up residence in the lawn, especially after all the effort I went to last year to manually dig them up, and so another gadget arrived chez nous this afternoon in the shape of a weed puller.

A jolly almost hour was spent removing two and three quarters buckets full of weeds with really very little effort on my part, which is all very good news. What's not such good news is that the puller only goes so far down in the earth and so the roots are very firmly left, which means that Mountain Man has a job to do to put organic weed killer into all the holes I made in the lawn. And then of course all those holes will need to be filled in, because at the moment the lawn looks like it's been under attack by some weird, mutant, teeny tiny moles.

It was absolutely fab to be able to spend some time outside today. The temperature rose into double figures, and just in case the sun decided not to ever come back again, I donned shorts and a vest top and spent as much of the day in the great outdoors. I did gardening, bike riding, dog walking and then back to the garden again. Windows have been opened, washing has been done and left outside to dry. And what is even better is the resident blackbird has become almost tame and hopped about begging me to get some decent food for him (which I did) only about a foot from where I was standing. I'm now going to see if I can get him to feed from my hand. That would certainly be something.

Whilst I was down at the garden centre in Kelso to buy the weed grabber I spotted that there's a special offer on sheds of all sorts. We have a lovely big shed, but it's also bit of a waste as it's an absolute sun trap and the verandah bit of it deserves to have a bit of glass so we can sit there on sunny but cold days and at least get some rays when we need to have thermal, Arctic gear on to be in the garden. But a sun lounge cum shed... ah yes now you're talking!

MM was a bit reticent until I told him he wouldn't have to put it up or do anything as all the work would be done by those lovely garden centre people, and so now he's been persuaded that it's quite a good idea. After all he's got quite enough work to do in the aftermath of the new gadget, I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment