Saturday 28 January 2012

What to do?

I'm wondering if I should change the title of this blog. Or in fact start a whole new blog, or just leave it as it is.

When I started it on 6th February 2010, a whole 340 posts ago, it was supposed to be about my coffee plants, but, quite frankly they are so slow growing with very little change from one month to the next I reckon I'd post about once every 6 months if it was just about them. And so, with the best will in the world I realised if I was going to blog it would need to be about more than my beloved coffee plants. And so I started writing about the day to day inconsequentialities that go to make up my life.

But I often wonder who reads this stuff? Does anyone get anything from it?

Today I was at a talk by Nichola Morgan on how to get yourself the best chance to get published and she, as always, says that you need an online presence. The only problem is, that I'm not sure a publisher, or in fact anyone more than a friend would want to read what I write here, and yet sometimes I think if it weren't for this blog I would do far less writing than I do. I'm not sure I want to do more because I actually like other people's blogs that are more than about writing, or literary stuff, and say more about the actual person.

So the dilemma is this: do I close this down and start anew, making it a bit more like other people's blogs, or do I keep writing this in the knowledge that there's a whole lot of stuff in here that may keep people up to date with what I'm about at the most, keep them amused at the least, as well as being a mine of info I could also use for stories, both short and novel length?

Over to you...

5 comments:

  1. I'm a friend so potentially biased but I like your blog just the way it is. Lots of different topics and a way of keeping up with you, along with updates on the coffee plants.

    I guess it's up to you and what you want from your online presence.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lizzie, it's about having a presence out there, and as a writer about writing. Does it matter who reads it or not? Or do you do this one as it is and start something else under a pseudonym, in a different style altogether?
    Who knows who will read it in the future?
    Keep writing I say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, well 2 out of 2 is fine. I'll keep it as it is for now. Thanks you two for responding so positively.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd keep it going but if you want to add different things then do. I like to look back and see how blogs have evolved. Ultimately I suppose it's about what you want from it and how best to achieve that. I really enjoy this window into your world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mari. It started as a way of keeping me writing and it's certainly served it's purpose for that. I think I'll keep it going in its present form and let it evolve rather than forcing it (or me) to be something it (or I'm) not.

    ReplyDelete