Friday 20 January 2012

Dressed for success?

Today was a bowls competition and Rabbie Burns lunch, and of course now I'm (almost) retired I have the time to take part in such activities. So at 10 o'clock this morning I could be found down at Tweedbank Indoor Bowls Centre, the only person out of the 50 people there, which included two non-players, who was dressed inappropriately. Everyone had come in the statutory grey and white that's worn for competitions. And me? I was dressed in purple and black. You'd have thought someone might've told me when I was playing on Wednesday night and they were all reminding me that I was playing today.

I played ok. Not so well in the first game, which my team lost and really quite well in the second, which we won. However we weren't up for any prizes. What was quite amazing though is that I won two prizes in the raffle. A lovely bottle of vintage Merlot and a Parker Pen. What was rather extraordinary is that three members out of the four in my team won raffle prizes. Others at the lunch weren't so amused.

I'm playing again tomorrow in a two bowl pairs competition which I came runner-up in last year. This year my partner isn't so good and I'm not playing all that well so don't expect to win anything, but hopefully it'll be fun and at least I shall be dressed appropriately and not stick out like the proverbial.

No comments:

Post a Comment