Thursday 25 August 2011

Edinburgh happenings

The strangest of things happened yesterday when No. 1 son and I were queuing for 'Cul de Sac' a rather surreal play at the Edinburgh Fringe. We were passing the time of day with the people behind us and when I asked them where they came from ... out of politeness you understand... they said they came from my Beloved's home town of Richmond in Yorkshire. On further enquiry it seems that the woman went to school with my sister-in-law. Now how strange is that? Not half as strange as the play I can tell you, but No. 1 son and I agreed that the actors were superb.

Today I went to see 'Allotment' by Jules Horne, who is a writer living in the Borders. She's been along to the Borders Writers Forum in the past to help us hone characters, which was very useful. She does workshops for young people at the Traverse Theatre in Edinburgh and is very well known in this part of the world. The play was fantastic. The best I've seen so far and was a real lesson in storytelling and character creating and general playcraft. I highly recommend it.

On the way over, because I was late, I decided on a taxi, and the driver and I started chatting. The upshot of that conversation is that he said he was going off immediately to WordPower to buy a copy of my book and promised to tell all his taxi driver friends to buy one too. Not sure if he will, but would be great if he did, though I have to admit it was a bit freaky to think of all the stressed Edinburgh taxi drivers on the streets of our capital.

Book update:
WordPower, independent Edinburgh bookshop, have offered to be my book distributors... how great is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment