Friday 24 June 2011

Singing on a full stomach

Wednesday night saw my first evening restaurant review for The New Inn in Coldingham. In spite of supposed to be taking a meat eater, because it was such a last minute gig and my Beloved and I hadn't been out together for some time, I chose him as my companion. We had a lovely evening only marred by my having to be very level-headed and not have the bottle of wine that I was offered on the house (I had two glasses instead), and having to ask 'sensible' questions of the very garrulous owner who kept us talking for quite some time after the meal was finished. Coldingham is about 40 minutes away from us, so by the time we got home it was getting pretty late. The rich food did not help my sleep at all, and I was awake for a lot of the night, and wasn't the best way to head to Edinburgh for work yesterday.

Still I kept my mind off my grumbling tummy by immersing myself in singing practice. I've got precisely until next Saturday to learn all the words and music for Scotland Sings For Water, the charity event I'm taking part in, and having an hour in the car singing along with the cd is helping me loads. I think a lot of my fellow commuters were rather pleased that summer is still not with us and it was too cold for me to open my windows so they couldn't actually hear me sing, but they seemed to be quite amused as I got quite a few stares as I gave it my best shot. I don't think the genteel folk of Edinburgh are quite so used to nutters on their own in their cars singing at the top of their voices. Still they were spared on the return journey as the weather had improved immeasurably, but Wimbledon was on Radio 5 live and always takes precedence.

The singing in the car has made me almost word perfect, just another couple of car journeys and I think I'll have it down to a tee. There's still time to donate if you feel like it by following this link.

I'm getting quite excited about the event now, and am praying that the sun shines for the day as it won't be nearly so good an event if we're singing in the rain. I know it worked for Gene Kelly, but somehow 300 sodden Scottish singers in Parliament Square doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment