Monday 13 June 2011

A productive day

Today was very productive.

I spent the morning practising my bowls with Magic Bob and his wife, Joyce. Then home for tennis, which I'm so pleased Andy Murray won, and then followed by my knocking out a 1750 word short story. It was supposed to come in between 1500 and 1700 so had to do a bit of adjustment, but was very pleased with myself.

I got the idea from one of the people on my OU forum who has entered a short story competition which gave the following guidelines: Steve is a twenty-year-old delivery van driver. Julia is a 36-year-old college lecturer. You might think they make an unlikely couple, but they are the two characters about whom you are invited to write a story for this month’s subscribers-only free-entry short story competition. The story just came to me while I was out driving the other day and wanted to get it down before I totally forgot it. I'm not a subscriber to the magazine, but you never know, if I decide it's good enough I might just become one, but I'll need to leave it a couple of days to 'mature'. Actually I take that back, I might just subscribe anyway as they have monthly competitions and it'll give me a focus for my writing.

Then this evening I was out at bowls again, but this time for club night. After the last few days of torrential rain it was lovely to be out in a reasonably warm night with actual sunshine. Still an 11 degree summer evening and I'm out wearing 3 layers of clothing and use hand warmers to keep my hands from freezing, is not what I was hoping for this summer.

Coffee plant update: The plants are doing their usual, which is not much and dropping leaves. But I'm pleased to report that all of them have baby leaves growing, which is a very good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment