Saturday 28 July 2012

Olympic update

I don't usually like Olympic opening ceremonies, though obviously they have to have them. I like the actual sport. I think it's something about the waste of money, resources, ego's etc etc that gets to me. However, last night I did watch it. 

I thought the initial green and pleasant land turns industrial was very clever and well done, but then I switched off (mentally) for a while as people danced and jigged their way through until the countries came on. I was fascinated as to how awful my knowledge of geography was... quite a few I never knew existed I'm ashamed to say.

Then there was the horror of what Team GB were wearing... I don't know who designed those, but they should be put up against a wall and shot in my view.

And the commentator then insisting that David Beckham was carrying the torch... no he wasn't, he was in the boat where someone else was carrying the torch while DB looked on with an inane grin on his face.

But all was redeemed by the truly fantastic Olympic torch lighting. What a feat of engineering and we should be rightly proud of that.

And then it fell apart again as Paul McCartney came on. I'm afraid I switched off at that point, it kind of ruined the moment for me.

So come on Team GB. Forget Paul and the crap outfits you were given to wear and focus on the magnificence of the torch. We can get some things right!


1 comment:

  1. I read about it second hand and it sounded pretty good (beyond the fact that poor old Macca's voice seems to be shot to pieces now). I liked the Guardian's comment on previously unknown countries - "and here comes Comoros...Comoros? I didn't even know there was a Comoros!"

    The Italian women seem to be the absolute masters of fencing!

    ReplyDelete