Sunday 8 July 2012

The moment you've been waiting for...

The coffee plant update of course!


And as you can see from today's photo, the hardy one is very hardy indeed and has grown... well, for a coffee plant, hugely. The two pale ones I'm quite worried about, but they're still growing and the small darker one is still the small darker one.

I've been thinking about swapping them around under the lights, but then I would fear the large one might protest and as it's the healthiest of them all it's probably best to leave them as is.

I have to be honest, if someone had told me just how difficult and frustrating it is to grow coffee plants I might well not have started this venture. My idea of a plantation was let go of many years ago and now I just breathe a sigh of relief when I look at them and realise that, so far this year, there have been no coffee deaths... but I'm not hopeful on that score.

I also breathed a sigh of relief yesterday when Jonny Marray became the first Briton since 1936 to win a Wimbledon men's doubles final. It was a thrilling match where Jonny and his partner Freddie Neilson from Denmark, who were wildcard rank outsiders, came through in 5 sets to win spectacularly. Jonny Marray was my man of the match and it was absolutely fitting that he served it out in the final set. Brilliant stuff. I can only hope and keep everything crossed that Andy Murray might do the same today... or do you think he'll be rather like my yellowing coffee plants, where it's just too much of a struggle?

2 comments:

  1. Your healthy plant is looking very shiny and beautiful. I think you should be proud of that. Love the comparison of your plants to our British hopefuls! Which plant would you compare Murray's eventual outcome to??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm... need I answer that?!

    ReplyDelete