Tuesday 24 July 2012

No work whatsoever

When I did my Open University Creative Writing course last year I became pally with a few people. An online friendship is lovely, but it's also interesting when you get to meet someone in person. Well earlier in the year I was down in Dumfries for work and called in on one such OU friend who lives not too far from there and was the one who introduced me to the concept of the e-bike.

We've kept in touch and had recently arranged that I would go down and we would do some writing together. Sounds good, doesn't it? Well it would have been fine if we hadn't found so much to talk about.

I arrived at her house just after midday yesterday in the pouring rain to be greeted by her three gorgeous rescued dogs (2 German Shepherds and a Jack Russell) and we then spent over 12 hours (yes, 12!) talking. There was a bit of alcohol involved, a hot tub in the rain and wind, and some lovely food, but basically all we did was talk. Not one pen lifted or even computer keyboard struck in the name of creativity.

Today was no different really. We went for a walk, took my e-bike out for a tiny jaunt, but essentially it was about a lot of talking.

So did it matter that no work was done? I don't think so, but the only thing is I do wonder when we get together again if we will ever get any writing done. I hope so, but I couldn't swear that things will be any different. In fact I think I would pretty much swear that there would be no change at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment