Thursday 14 June 2012

Back to Inverness and home again

On Sunday when I had to get up the road to Inverness for Monday and Tuesday teaching, I was very reluctant to go. Partly because of feeling like I wanted to hide my head under the duvet and not face the world and partly because I was watching the men's final of the French Open. However, rain stopped play and I managed to pack my bag and get myself out of the door before the match started again. Sometimes it's good to force oneself to work rather than give in to feeling low and I'm pleased to say that I found the match on Radio 5 Live (until it went off again for the day due to more rain) and also that the enforced concentration on work and others allowed me to stop dwelling on my sadness, at least for a couple of days.

One of the delights of staying in the Inverness area is that the wildlife is just so fab. I'm not suggesting that it isn't in the Borders, but being in a village is very different from living out in the countryside. Where I used to live we had resident pheasants, deer and red squirrels, so it was delightful to once again have my breakfast with a red squirrel enjoying it's early morning feast at the same time.


The teaching went well and the feedback was excellent and then on Tuesday night I headed off down the A9 to Edinburgh as I had my last poetry class of the term yesterday, which I'm so pleased I got to. I can't go next week to the actual last class of term as I shall be in Glasgow for a Mindfulness conference, so it was important to me to make it this week. And then it was home to the Borders, to an ever so quiet house.

No time to dwell though as today is the day the Olympic torch passes our door - literally passes our door - and my dear friend Shirley is coming down to partake of the event with us. The road is going to be closed from 11 until 5, though the torch itself isn't due until this afternoon, so we can't really go anywhere or do anything but stay home and wait until the event itself. I'm quite looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment