Wednesday 29 January 2014

The agony and the ecstasy

I had another one of those bizarre accidents that occasionally seem to plague my life.

It was the middle of the night and I needed to go to the loo. I leapt out of bed and rushed to the bathroom and managed to catch my fourth toe on the corner of the wall. That poor toe has been the recipient of a couple of operations - the last one to take the joint out (don't ask) - and is not in the best of shape. Talk about painful!

Yesterday saw me heading to the dentist in Edinburgh, not one of my favourite destinations at the best of times. The only comfortable footwear was my Ugg boots. Amazing though how someone digging about in my gums made the pain in my toe miraculously disappear for at least a short while.

After that I had to go to Dumfries for a meeting. It's a good 2 hour drive, but a wonderful opportunity to open the throttle on my new(ish) car and really let rip down the motorway. It was great! I got to Dumfries in time for lunch and then had to sit about for a while and took the time to start my new book (on my Kindle) 'Instructions for a Heatwave' by Maggie O'Farrell. I'm certainly enjoying the start. An hour's meeting followed and at 4.20 I left Dumfries for the 2 hour drive home, this time along country roads in the dark and rain and not nearly as comfortable as my journey down. I was quite stiff by the time I got home and so my shoulders, rigid from the drive, were quite painful.

I woke this morning with sore toe, sore shoulders and sore lower back and a bit of a headache to boot. I made the decision that badminton wasn't for me today as I didn't want to have any more agony... no thank you!

And the ecstasy? Well I haven't got to that bit yet, but I'm ever hopeful.

2 comments: