Friday 11 November 2011

It's not just me that needs warmth...

I had a Skype call with Tracy yesterday (she's the person I'm staying with in South Africa) and we talked about not taking valuables on my 'trip of a lifetime'.

And so it was that Mountain Man and I ventured out to Kelso for our weekly shopfest, and be on the lookout for a cheap watch that would keep me on the right track to get my planes, connections etc, but that I didn't have to worry about.

I found the perfect thing for a whole £9.99.


Unbelievably - and that's for me, MM and the shopkeeper - it's also waterproof to 100 metres, which is brilliant as Tracy has promised snorkeling is on the cards. I'm chuffed with it... what a bargain!

I'm also now loaded up with anti mozzie stuff, stuff in case I get bitten anyway, sun tan lotion, books and cds (these are for Tracy) and enough clothes to see me through the next 6 months - or at least that's how it feels.

So that's me. But I also noticed the other day that one of my coffee plants is looking decidedly morose. The leaves have gone a light green and look like they're going to fall off. I think this is because it's got a lot colder recently and, as we don't have the central heating on that much, the plants dislike the fluctuating temperature.

I decided to take a trip to Dobbie's, the garden emporium, to see if they had anything that could help my babies. The only thing on offer was a roll of fleece, and so it was promptly bought.

Now, as you can see, the plants are all tucked up nice and warm in their cosy, home-made, wraparound, temperature fluctuating beating, little house. MM says he'll buy some sticks and make it a bit more robust while I'm away, which I'm sure they'll appreciate.


Here's hoping it helps them to survive the winter and head on into the new year with renewed vigour. At least I'll know that while I'm on holiday in warmer climes, my plants will also be enjoying a bit of warmth of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment