Sunday 27 February 2011

A bit of spontaneity

Around midnight on Friday I was having a phone conversation with one of my new found OU friends, who happens to live just outside Bradford, and we got around to the fact that it was just me and the dog this weekend as my Beloved is off up them thar hills, doing his training bit for Borders Search and Rescue, when she announced she'd never been to Scotland and how much she'd love to come. Well you know how it is... one thing leads to another and there we are, she's coming up on the train on Saturday for a visit.

So yesterday came and off I went to Berwick to meet her at the station. So far so good. Do I know what this woman looks like? No. Does she know what I look like? No. But I did tell her I was taking the dog. The train I thought she'd be on came and went and I was beginning to wonder what I would do. Had I got the time right? Was she actually coming, or had she thought better of something that sounded good at midnight but maybe in the cold light of day wasn't quite so appealing?

I decided to wait for the next train, which was just as well. Luckily taking the dog had been an inspiration... of course it did occur to me that I might not be the only one there with an elderly alsatian, but apart from a rather mangy poodle, there were no other four legged friends to distract and she found us no problem.

There was a moment of awkwardness, but once in the car and on the way back to the house, it was like we'd been friends for years. And that was how it was. Quite a bit of alcohol, good food and lots of chat, which all went to make it a lovely night, and then back to the station this morning to deposit her on the train.

I really enjoyed myself and the whole thing was rather mad and strange when you think about it... but it felt good to do something so spur of the moment, and luckily no regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment