Thursday 16 December 2010

It's only taken me 9 years

Ok... what's going on? My iPhone wasn't working and then yesterday it suddenly kicked in and started again, downloading emails by the hundred. I did what any self respecting gadget queen would do and looked it up on the web. I came across an MA research paper entitled 'Disruptive effects of electromagnetic interference on communication and electronic systems.' I thought it would give me answers.

Essentially the summary is this, and I quote:  

"As the reliance on wireless data networks and transmission systems increases to include more critical systems, unintentional and intentional interference have the ability to disrupt these systems and cause temporary or permanent failures, which have the ability to cause catastrophic results due to the unavailability of these wireless data links and the information which they carry. The most effective protection against these types of disruptions is to conduct susceptibility assessments and provide measures of protection against known interference sources at the data link design phase and attempt to protect against currently unknown or unanticipated interference sources using measures employed after system deployment."

So effectively, we know that the more we use our phones, we can get disruption from unintentional and intentional sources. And we need protection. Mmmm no flaw in the argument. Only problem is I could have told you that. For once in my life I actually realise the work I did for my Doctorate was actually ok and at least I came out with some interesting research that said something new. And it's only taken me 9 years to realise it. So thank you to my iPhone for not working for a couple of days... I'm still none the wiser as to why, but at least I have a sense of pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment