Friday 3 December 2010

Big city here we come... well maybe

Today is my friend N's birthday and, after planning this a few weeks ago, we were looking forward to going to Edinburgh this evening for a fun filled jaunt to Sweet Melinda's for our dinner. Because the forecast said no more snow today we felt so positive that I phoned N to tell her in spite of our recent incarceration chez nous, we're going to be there.

We were further encouraged this morning by a Borders snow plough, which had been directed to our village to clear snow from the road and make things a whole lot easier for us, and the guys on board had said something along the lines of once having cleared to the school and up the west end of the village they'd be heading in our direction. They'd ring the bell when they wanted us to move our cars. I did think this was a little ambitious as, in spite of a good hour trying to dig my car out yesterday, it still remains in its snow tomb and moving it looks like an impossible task.

I needn't have worried. They gave up clearing the snow once they'd got to the school and headed off for the bright lights of Earlston. So my car is definitely not going anywhere.

And, guess what? It has just started to snow again. I should've reckoned on that once I'd heard the forecast this morning say 'definitely no more snow' - that was a recipe for it to chuck it down; added to which, Kevin, our next door neighbour's roofing son, came over to clear some of the snow off the roof for us, in the hope that we won't get a leak when the snow eventually melts. I cannot help but feel that this must've been a red rag to the Snow God, who is now getting his/her own back.

So all we can do is wait and see. Decisions will be made at 4 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment