Friday 1 October 2010

The end

As a lot of you know I am a Scrabble addict. I've been playing Scrabble since I was a very young child, and it has featured in my life quite a lot. I won a Scrabble set off a friend after playing religiously for 3 years at Art School, I've played in competitions, though only local, and won my fair share, and I've coerced my kids and partner to play with me at Christmas on a kind of one game of Scrabble equals one game for each of them that they want to play basis. So when my friend, Tracy, told me about Scrabble on Facebook and that you can play across the web, I of course signed up immediately and was quite happy playing away with various friends across time and space.

That is until about a month or so ago. I turned my Scrabble on and there, horror of horrors, was an overscreen that said that it was some advertising promotion from a sponsor and that I would be returned to the Scrabble screen in 15 seconds. Now I'm the kind of person that whenever there are adverts on the telly, I flick between channels to avoid them. A dreadful habit I know, but there you are, so being faced with adverts was a bit much. But hey, 15 seconds. Ok I can wait.

After about a week, the overscreen was still there and now it said I would be returned to my Scrabble screen in 20 seconds. And from there each week it went up until it was 30 seconds. And that's when I knew that I just did not want to be part of it anymore. The very idea of being 'forced' to watch adverts was complete anathema.

So, it is with sadness that I have now ended all games of Scrabble on Facebook and will refuse to return until advertising is withdrawn. I feel I have a very long wait ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment