Tuesday 19 October 2010

A waste of time?

Yesterday I was supposed to be getting on an doing my first assignment for the Open University Creative Writing course I've taken on. I don't know what my problem is, but the mere mention of tutors and marking seems to have had the most debilitating effect on me. Previously I've been writing away, even getting up at 5.30 am to do my morning pages before I go to work, but the moment something has to be marked, well that's a different story. I went into mindblock meltdown. I managed to write one paragraph about twenty times in different formats and then junked the whole lot.

However, there was a mention in the core text that some writers use repetitive things like playing Solitaire to get them in the mood, and I decided I'd give that a try to see if I could manufacture a cognitive shift. So, I started back playing Bubble Island on Facebook.

I did really well and even managed to get past the Mountain region of stage 9 and onto the Volcano of stage 10 thereby beating She Who Must Not Be Named and my beloved in one fell swoop.

Writing? Nada - Kudos? Loads!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a slippery slope to procrastination! I've spent (wasted) many an hour playing free cell (the good old days!) Hope you've got started.
    Lx
    p.s. I'm loving Strictly this year. Haven't decided if no dance off is a good thing or not though.

    ReplyDelete