Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Trying to look on the bright side

After last week's disasters, things got worse!

I had a fall, which was not just painful, but a bit disgusting too, so if you're of a delicate constitution I strongly advise you to skip the next paragraph:

I was on pup duty on Sunday morning. It all started so well, but when it came to feeding and going out to pee and poo, Vespa decided he didn't want to poo. I asked him if he was sure and he assured me he was, so in he came. I was washing the dog bowls when Odi came and looked at me in a way that told me all wasn't right and so I went in the kitchen to find Vespa squatting on the floor. I grabbed him and took him out to the poo place and went in to clear up the mess in the kitchen and after that went out to clear up outside. What I missed was the other, rather large dump he'd done at the bottom of the concrete step and I stood in it, slipping as I went and landed with my back on the edge of the concrete step. To say I was shocked was an understatement and the pain was worse. I managed to get up and hobble into the kitchen, take my clothes off and wash them and my shoes (thank god for Crocs!) under the tap and then clothes straight in the machine for a 60 degree wash! By the time Mountain Man came down for breakfast I was in need of going back to bed and lying down.

So Sunday ended up a duvet day. I couldn't shake the tiredness I felt and I could hardly walk either. As well as a rather unsightly scrape down my arm and a burgeoning large bruise on my back I seem to have trapped a nerve in my coccyx and every time I tried to take a step... well I don't think I need to tell you how painful that can be and going to the loo...? Well I'll leave that to your imaginations! This all didn't bode well for a trip up to Inverness I was supposed to take on Monday, but when Monday came the pain had eased a touch and I thought I could probably make it.

Dosed up with painkillers and my heated front seats I negotiated the A9 with minimal problems - apart that is from the new restrictions, which had me watching my speedometer rather than the road and my concentration was taken up trying to work out if I'd followed a truck going 50 mph for 15 miles how much longer I'd have to follow before I could overtake and not ruin my average 60 mph speed. And the potholes didn't help. However, arriving in Inverness was another story and it took me a few minutes to actually negotiate getting out of the car.

The all day meeting yesterday went ok and my back had eased a touch more, so by the time I got back in the car I felt not too bad. Once I got home, though that was another story, so I ended up with a fairly early night, which turned into a fairly sleepless night and here I am today, with my back still twinging, but walking doesn't seem too much of an issue, which is just as well as I have to head to Edinburgh for work this afternoon.

One of the good things about all this though is that the pain in my back has superseded the pain in my knee. There's always a silver lining to every cloud!


  1. What a nightmare - and that's just the average speed cameras! Hope your back and knee recover soon. x

    1. Thanks MG. Recovery is slow :(