Tuesday 11 September 2012

Missing ships

After a lovely day with No. 2 Son, late last night we settled down to watch the US Open between Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic.

Mountain Man, who has to head for Ireland today to route mark an across Ireland cycle ride for what are now known as Mamils (hating to admit that he's one himself!), went to bed at the end of the first set as he had to be up early. So, with Andy Murray winning the tie break 12-10 and heading into a comfortable double break in the second, No. 2 Son and I settled down on the sofa, under a pink blanket for warmth, to bite our nails as Andy Murray then lost his serve twice, but just managed to win that set 7-5. Then Andy took a dip in play and Novak Djokovic won the third 6-2, by which time it was half past midnight and I could take no more. I went to bed knowing that Andy Murray was down 0-1 in the fourth.

What a relief it was to turn my computer on when I woke up at 6.30 this morning, unable to think about anything else than what had happened at the US Open, to be greeted by the headlines telling me that after 76 long, long years, a Brit (and that Brit being a Scot no less) had won!

And what a relief to know that my gut feelings had been right!

Today, is actually my September birthday and to celebrate my son and I are going out to Jedburgh to watch the start of Stage 3 of the Tour of Britain and then hang out together while my husband is off doing his thing for the rest of the week. Then in spite of my getting into retirement, I have work on Thursday and Friday and then more in London for the first part of next week, so MM and I will be ships that don't even pass in the night. Oh well, it'll make for a sweeter catch up when we do eventually get together next Wednesday night.



No comments:

Post a Comment