Monday 10 September 2012

And now it is almost over

That is the fantastic summer of sport.

I've so enjoyed every moment of the Olympics and the Paralympics. I love watching sport of any kind and the last month has afforded me the luxury of watching pretty much any kind of sport and I've found myself pretty emotional at times at the achievements of some incredible people.

Today there's the outside chance that Andy Murray might win the US Open. I hope the 'feelings in my water' (what a hateful expression!) that he will win are correct. I'll know by tomorrow whether I can trust them or not. And then tomorrow we have the Tour of Britain starting it's South of Scotland leg in Jedburgh at 11.00, which I'm going to go to - luckily it coincides with my having to pick up the rabbit brooch I made at a Saturday craft day there a couple of weeks ago, so that's good.

Best of all is that No. 2 Son has come for a short visit. He arrived yesterday and I'm not sure whether he'll be here for tomorrow or whether he's got to head off up North, but it is lovely to have him here. He's not at all interested in sport, but he does bring with him some interesting films and games. Last night we watched Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris which was fantastic. We also played King of Tokyo, a rather simple, but enjoyable board game that I first played when I visited No. 2 Son in Bristol a couple of months ago. I think the reason I like it is because I've won every game I've played so far, so as resident champion it's bound to be a favourite.

Strange now to put the TV on and find there's no sport to cheer at, but at least I shall become a bit more active again. I think I've had the most inactive summer I've had for a long time, which is quite scary.

Now time to get back to my transition from fully working person to retired person, which starts with a fantastic holiday to Bhutan and Nepal which is coming up very quickly indeed and which I'll need to be relatively fit for. Mountain Man assures me that the amount of proprioceptive movement that I do while watching sport means that by the end of a sporting day I've exercised pretty much every single muscle in some way or another.

So maybe this Summer of Sport will mean that I'm actually quite fit? Mmmm thought that might be stretching it a bit far!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to retire, but I have a long way to go!

    Your holiday sounds fantastic Vee. I hope you'll tell us all about it when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've enjoyed the sport Vee, you must be exhausted!I'm just back from my spa holiday and I hope you return from your trip as rejuvinated as I am! I reckon yours is way tops for the views etc though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited about going away and will take loads of photos which will undoubtedly find their way on here.

    Retirement is interesting... I just wish I could fully embrace the not working, but I'm working on it, if you see what I mean!

    ReplyDelete