Thursday 17 November 2016

A day of strange conversations

Today has been a day of strange conversations.

I have a very old mac laptop that ceased to want to function when I came back from Thailand in July. I kept forgetting to take it into the Apple shop in Edinburgh for it's free check up, but decided I needed to get onto it and today was the day.

A charming guy called Andrea came to help and whilst waiting for my computer to churn into life he asked what I did. There ensued a conversation about writing books and stress and he then asked if I'd like to come and do a talk at the Apple shop to all the people who work there as sometimes they invite people who are interesting. Of course I said yes, so he said to expect an email in a few days. Not sure this will actually come to anything, but it was sure nice to be asked. Oh yes, and it was also nice to know that my computer battery is defunct and not replaceable but the actual computer is functioning just fine, it just needs to be on the power cord the whole time.

After that I went to meet my friend Shirley for lunch, but had a bit of time to kill as she was having her hair done. I went into Jenners and saw some rather lovely Ugg boots that were waterproof and looked rather nice. The first pair I tried on were too small, so an underling was sent off to get larger size and the girl who was serving me started to chat about how much she liked my sparkly ankle wellies. She asked me if they were comfortable and I said 'extremely' and then, as she was looking so longingly at them, I said, 'do you want to try them on?' 'Yes, please,' she said. So there I was in Jenners trying on some boots whilst the sales assistant tried on mine. I didn't buy the Uggs.

Shirley and I had a lovely lunch and after that went shopping and then time to get the bus back to my car. On the bus a rather unkempt looking guy, smelling very strongly of alcohol, sat down next to me and started chatting about the weather and then asked me if I'd just finished work. I told him I was retired and he was incredibly complimentary until I said that I'd become a lady who lunches and had just been out to lunch. 'Had garlic?' he asked. 'Yes,' I replied, feeling somewhat mortified as I popped a mint into my mouth!


Three rather strange conversations all in one day. Hopefully these things just come in threes!

No comments:

Post a Comment