Tuesday 28 June 2016

Thoughts on coming home

You will no doubt notice that I've said nothing about the referendum. Well until now that is. It's been most interesting watching it all from afar and with the Bangkok News (THE paper of choice - or at least that's what it says on the masthead) for my catch up.

Many of the guests here asked my opinion, and as the result unfolded there was a shaking of heads and a distinct air of worry as to how this was going to pan out across the world. The Thai Government has already announced that it's leader would not stand down if the vote here (which is happening very soon) doesn't go his way... or in his words in today's paper, 'I will not do a David Cameron. The situation in our country is very different.' Well yes, that's true as it's a military junta and it seems they can do pretty much what they please no matter what the populace decides.

I'm coming to the end of my stay here and I can't say I'm thrilled to be coming back to a divided country, which undoubtedly will become more divided as, without doubt, the SNP will call for another vote on Scottish Independence. Yes, we did vote already on that and decided what we wanted, but now the landscape has changed and so, apparently, have the rules of democracy i.e. we're only democratic when people agree and if you don't... well we'll have another vote!

For my part, if I'd been able to vote (my postal vote will undoubtedly be waiting for me in the pile the Post Office will deliver after I'm home), I'd have voted remain. But that's by the by now. We now have to get on and make it work, no matter how tough that is, but I fear all the political fall out from it all will take years to overcome and in the meantime that means instability for us all.

However, on the bright side, I've been offered work back here again next July. Probably not the best time to come to Thailand weather-wise, but I'm happy to be asked and who knows what will be going on by next Summer in the UK, so any chance to be away has, in my view, to be grabbed with both hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment