Sunday 14 April 2013

The last bowls of the season

Friday night saw the last of the Indoor Bowls season.

I have to be honest, I really didn't feel like going as on Tuesday I had played what was probably the very worst game I've ever played in the last of the league games, where every single bowl had a life of it's own (nothing to do with me Guv) and ended up nowhere near where it was supposed to be.

On Friday night, I was in a team of 4 with 3 others I'd never played with before and our skip I was told was 'Oh Alec, yes he'll be our skip, wouldn't tolerate any other position,' which in bowls terms means that he's a very good player.

I couldn't believe how I started out. I was the only one of us who had a bowl near the jack. And so it continued all night, with me playing the best I've played in a very long time, if not ever. We lost, but not because of me. I was ecstatic! Our skip, sadly, had a dreadful game and hardly got anything near the jack at all. He came up to me after and asked if I'd like to play on his team in the afternoon!

After that it was a glass of wine and some not very good food and an interminable prize giving. I only woke up when I heard my name being called out. I'd completely forgotten that my league team had come top of the division before the second part of the season started (when we'd been put up to Division 1 and have done badly ever since) and I won £5 for my part in that.

And then I won a raffle prize too... actually this wasn't so great as it was a box of chocs that I'd given as a prize a few months ago! I gave it away to a couple who, at the last raffle, gave me one of the 3 prizes they won. It was a good way to finish the evening. It was also very late when I got out of there.

I don't know why but I woke up yesterday with one of the worst migraines I've had in a long time. Nothing seemed to shift it and I suffered well into the wee hours of this morning. I woke up this morning feeling a bit battered but ok.

Today will be a day of catch up with all the things that should've been done yesterday and a sorting of things that need to get sorted for next week, because this coming week (and the next for that matter) are a couple of the crazy ones that show that my work life balance still needs to be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment